Whittier Street Health Center is supporting the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition in honor of National Physical Fitness and Sports Month. During the month of May, we challenge all adults to get 30 minutes of physical activity every day.
Did you know that regular physical activity increases your chances of living a longer, healthier life? It also reduces your risk for high blood pressure, heart disease, and some types of cancer. Yet in 2015, only 19% of Boston adult residents reported meeting CDC guidelines for physical activity. Making 81% of the population not get the recommended amount of physical activity.
The Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans recommend that adults:
- Aim for 2 hours and 30 minutes of moderate aerobic activity each week. Moderate activity includes things like walking fast, dancing, swimming, and raking leaves.
- Do muscle-strengthening activities – like lifting weights or using exercise bands – at least 2 days a week.
Physical activity is for everyone. No matter what shape you are in, you can find activities that work for you. Together, we can rise to the challenge and get more active during the month of May!
- With a membership at Whittier Wellness and Fitness Center you are able to enjoy a variety of cardiovascular equipment, strength training machines and free weights.
- Group exercise classes are FREE with your membership. We have a number of classes including, Pilates, Yoga, Zumba, Dance Around the World, Muscle Conditioning, Cardio Circuit, HIIT and Boxing.
- We have a senior program 55+, who are patients of Whittier Street Health Center. Every Thursday they take part in an hour Dance Around the World class, followed by an hour of Yoga and a brief nutrition tutorial. Once participants have attended 6 classes they get a free year membership.
For more information, come tour or facility:
Whittier Wellness and Fitness Center
1290 Tremont Street
Roxbury, MA 02120
Or contact us at 617-989-5101
Whittier Street Health Center Whittier Street Health Center @ Quincy Commons
1290 Tremont St. 278 Blue Hill Ave
Roxbury, MA 02120 Roxbury, MA 02119
T: 617-427-1000 T: 617-858-2550