Most people know that eating fruits and vegetables is important for good health, but most of us still aren’t getting enough. This September, Whittier Street Health Center is proud to participate in Fruits & Veggies – More Matters Month.
Eating a healthy diet with plenty of vegetables and fruits can help you:
- Lower your risk for heart disease and some types of cancer
- Maintain or reach a healthy weight
- Keep your body strong and active
Here are some ideas to help you and your family fit more fruits and vegetables into your day:
- Keep a bowl of fruit handy where the whole family can see it.
- Cut up fruits and veggies ahead of time so they’re ready for quick, healthy snacks.
- Challenge your family to try a new veggie or fruit every week.
Remember, eating more fruits and veggies can be fun – and it’s worth it!
- Stop by the second floor every other Tuesday at 1:30pm to pick up a bag of fresh fruits and vegetables at $2/bag.
- Join the Whittier Garden Club every Thursday at 10:00am to harvest fruits and vegetables from our own garden.
- Visit the Mobile Market every Thursday at 11:00am to purchase farmers market produce from a local farm in Dover. Use your WIC vouchers or EBT card to receive HIP benefits.
For more information, visit www.wshc.org.