Originally opened in 1933 as a well-baby clinic, Whittier Street Health Center is a comprehensive and innovative health care and wellness center championing equitable access to high quality, cost-effective health care for diverse populations.
Whittier Street Health Center (WSHC) is a Joint Commission-accredited urban community health center providing primary and specialty health care, oral health, mental health and substance abuse counseling services, and social and outreach services to individuals from culturally and circumstantially diverse communities. Whittier’s mission is: To provide high quality, reliable and accessible primary health care and support services for diverse populations to promote wellness and eliminate health and social disparities. It is designated as a 330 (i) PHPC and a 330 (e) health center by HRSA.
Whittier’s vision is to serve as the premier leader in urban health care to diverse populations by providing innovative services to improve the health of the communities served and ensuring that that every resident has access to health care regardless of their ability to pay. WSHC offers primary medical care, oral and behavioral health care at two sites in Boston. Whittier’s cultural competence earned its designation as one of only ten refugee health assessment sites contracted by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health. WSHC has developed a set of initiatives which include chronic disease management, strategies to address health disparities such as comprehensive screening programs, supports for lifestyle change, and health education. Whittier has also developed social programs to address the economic inequities and social injustices in the communities served.
We invite you to visit us at our two locations: our new 78,900-square foot, Silver LEED-certified health care facility located at 1290 Tremont Av in Roxbury, and our Satellite Clinic at 276 Blue Hill Ave in Dorchester.
Whittier is accredited by The Joint Commission, certified by the National Committee for Quality Assurance as a Level 3 Patient-Centered Medical Home, and licensed by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH). Whittier is an FTCA Deemed Facility.
Statement of Commitment
In order to ensure that Whittier Street Health Center’s programs and services achieve the mission and vision articulated by the organization’s leadership, we make a pledge to the community we serve to:
- Care for our patients as we would our loved ones: with expertise, compassion and respect;
- Personify initiative, innovation and tenacity in addressing community health priorities;
- Demonstrate that we foster an environment of diversity, reward excellence and added-value, and encourage good citizenship amongst employees;
- Work well with our colleagues and our community to advance the well-being of our clients;
- Exhibit leadership on critical issues in ways worthy of the public’s confidence; and
- Demonstrate accountability, integrity and resourcefulness in our financial stewardship.
At the heart of Whittier Street Health Center is a set of core values that permeate our customer service, patient care and staff interaction:
- Respect for team, patients and self
- Cultural competency in areas of culture, belief systems and language
- Community commitment
- Education of staff and community residents.
- Leadership organizationally and within the medical community
- Trust and trustworthiness
- Best place to work
Whittier Street Health Center is a Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC).
This health center receives HHS funding and has Federal Public Health Service (PHS) deemed status with respect to certain health or health-related claims, including medical malpractice claims, for itself and its covered individuals.
Whittier Street Health Center is a private, 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
Tax Exempt ID# 04-2619517