Our Adult Medicine Department provides comprehensive preventative care and disease management to patients over age 18. Our physicians and nurse practitioners provide a range of care from routine physicals to acute illnesses and can arrange for specialty care at the center or at any of Boston’s top hospitals, if necessary. Our care teams teams include case managers, nurses, certified diabetes educators and a clinical pharmacist who provide personalized services to help every patient achieve and maintain long term wellness. Each patient’s care is coordinated with other clinics at Whittier including Behavioral Health and Substance Abuse, Eye Care, Dental , OB/GYN, Dermatology and Orthopedics.
Our specialties include:
- Diabetes care including a multi-specialty Diabetes Clinic and Diabetes Group Visits
- Hypertension and Cardiovascular Disease
- HIV/AIDS Care
- Chronic Pain
- Asthma and COPD
- Routine Physicals focusing on prevention, wellness and self-management
Fax Number: (617) 989-3054
Women’s Health Services
Whittier Street Health Center offers a full range of obstetrical and gynecological services including:
- Family Planning
- Prenatal Care
- Cancer Screening
- STD/HIV Testing
OB/GYN services are provided onsite by our own physicians and nurse practitioners as well as midwives from the Boston Medical Center and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital where our babies are delivered. Having midwives from both hospitals helps with our care coordination for pregnant mothers.
WSHC also has case managers who support women’s holistic health with:
- CenteringPregnancy and CenteringParenting Programs, models of care that integrate health assessment, education, and support, into unified care within a group setting utilizing peer-to-peer learning;
- Preconception screening for domestic violence;
- Mental health and substance abuse screening;
- Ensure that recommended cancer screenings are scheduled (mammography, cervical, and colorectal) and offer navigation and support to any woman with an abnormal result; and
- Our Women’s Post-Prison Release Program that provides health care and support for women who might otherwise end up homeless or re-offending because of lack of community-based support.
Fax Number: (617) 858-2666
Men’s Health Services
The Men’s Health Program is an innovative and comprehensive outreach, education, screening, and referral program designed to link men to primary health care and support services offered by Whittier. Across racial and ethnic groups, men in Boston are less likely to have a primary care provider. Disparities in access to care lead to disparities in health outcomes with men having higher rates and poorer management of chronic diseases services. Our goal is to save lives by reducing premature mortality among men and boys, particularly Latino and African Americans by:
- Providing education, screening, connection to services, and enrollment of uninsured individuals;
- Encouraging men to organize and undertake structural changes to reduce inequality;
- Connecting incarcerated men to case management and re-entry services prior to their release to help them successfully rejoin the community; and
- Offering violence prevention programs and programs designed to strengthen parenting skills.
Men’s Health Clinic is open during hours that are convenient for men, and is staffed by male providers and support staff.
Whittier hosts an all day Men’s Health Summit, which attracts 300 – 400 men during National Men’s Health month in June.
Fax Number: (617) 858-2666
Patients Aged 60+
We have specially designed programs to keep seniors active, engaged and healthy. Geriatric care services are coordinated by a specially trained Geriatric Case Manager and team members.
In addition to regular adult primary care services, geriatric patients are offered a wide range of other services including:
- Health Insurance Navigation
- Colon, Cervical and Breast Cancer Screening
- Group Visits and Discussion
- Walking and Physical Activity Sessions
- Educational Sessions
- Cooking and Nutrition Classes
- Behavioral Health Assessment and Intervention
- Home Visits
- Transportation Assistance
- Medical Supplies Assistance
- Specialist Referral and Coordination
- Individual Care Plan and Self-management Goal Setting
For more information, call the Geriatric Case Manager on (617) 989-3011